Monday, July 16, 2007

Brilliant Minds- Not Just A Nerd


Every child goes through that awkward period where they really don’t know who they are or how to express themselves. Ken experienced that phase throughout elementary school where he was teased a lot for being smart. Add the fact that Ken’s Mom was a teacher at his school and you have a recipe for guaranteed social disaster.

“As a kid when that happens you begin to isolate yourself,” Ken said “If you’re not accepted for who you are invariably you have to find ways to gain that love and acceptance.”

Ken was unable to find acceptance because he couldn’t understand his feelings himself. He describes himself as “smart and goofy” however none of his classmates could see that because they were so focused on how intelligent he was. “If people think you’re just a nerd, you might say to yourself, ‘Maybe that’s all I am,’” Ken expressed. “You may not ever get a chance to find out what other talents you have.”

Around 8th grade Ken decided to break out of his shell. He joined his school’s academic team. It was with this team that Ken found a fertile ground for friendships. “When I started surrounding myself with other people who were as smart as me, I found others who were willing to accept me for who I was,” Ken said.

Ken believes that exposing himself to new people taught him a lot about who he was. As he developed faith that he was more than just a nerd, he was able to relax more in social environments, eventually drawing others who shared his same sense of humor and integrity.

“My self esteem comes from the fact that God has blessed me with so many talents and He has blessed me to be alive,” Ken affirmed. “Appreciating life itself is important.”

No comments: